Looking for something fun to do around town this summer? Here are a some great events coming to a neighborhood near you:
- Sandy Springs- The 14th year of Movies By Moonlight kicks off August 24th with the screening of the movie "Coco". It will be followed by "The Greatest Showman" on September 7th and "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" on October 5th. The event is free and will be held at the City Springs lawn. Pre-show activities begin at 6pm and the movie starts at dusk. Concessions will be available on-site and outside food is allowed. Grab a blanket and a picnic basket and go enjoy the show! Sorry- no pets allowed.
- Brookhaven- The city’s Parks & Recreation Department is hosting its 4th annual “It Starts in the Park” 5K/1K, which will begin and end in Blackburn Park on Saturday, July 21, beginning at 7:15 a.m. Race fees are $30 until July 19th and $35 on-site. Awards will be presented for different cataegories. Click here to register: http://itstartsinthepark5k.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=7259
- Dunwoody- Food Truck Thursdays every Thursday this summer 5pm until dark and the Dunwoody Farmer's Market every Saturday 8:30am-1:00pm at Brook Run Park- 4770 N. Peachtree Rd.
- Midtown- Cool off at the 8th annual Atlanta Ice Cream Festival at Piedmont Park Saturday, July 28th. Go sample delicious local ice cream, gelato, and more, while celebrating the season with games, activities, and lots of fun. The event is free.
- Decatur- The 18th annual BBQ, Blues, and Bluegrass Festival is on Saturday, August 11th from 2:00-9:00pm at Harmony Park 860 Oakview Rd. This annual event brings some of the south's best BBQ together with great live blues and bluegrass music from local and national artists. Tickets are $15 until july 15th and $20 after that. Kids 12 and under are free.
- Grant Park- The Grant Park Summer Shade Festival is being held Saturday and Sunday August 25-26 at Grant Park800 Cherokee AveAtlanta, GA 30315. Presented by and benefiting the Grant Park Conservancy, the festival will once again feature an impressive lineup of live music throughout the weekend on two stages in addition to an expansive artist market, Kids Zone, 5K run, and a dedicated VIP area. Open to all ages and free to attend, the 16th annual Summer Shade Festival will also have a diverse selection of local food trucks, Monday Night Brewing craft beer, Bold Rock Cider, and Frida Khalo Tequila and Status Vodka cocktails and more.
- Downtown- The 9th annual BronzeLens Film Festival is back in Atlanta with film screenings, film workshops, master classes, an Awards Show, women superstars luncheon, and more! Their mission is to bring worldwide attention to Atlanta as a center for film and film production for people of color. August 22-26, Atlanta Marriott Marquis265 Peachtree Center AvenueAtlanta, GA 30303
- West Midtown- The Attack of the Killer Tomato Festival is this Sunday July 15th from 1:00-5:00pm. Chef-restaurateur Ford Fry’s tenth annual Attack of the Killer Tomato Festival will be at Westside Provisions District, 1100-1210 Howell Mill Rd this year. The south’s top chefs, most-skilled mixologists and local farmers are teaming up once again to create tomato-based delights in support of Georgia Organics, a local non-profit connecting organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. Live music by G. Love & Special Sauce and a special appearance from Ford Fry’s band will entertain guests alongside creative libations, inspired tomato treats and cold pours of SweetWater beer, sponsored by United Distributors. Featuring special out-of-town guests including Los Angeles chef & Korean taco king legend Roy Choi, Kelly Fields of Willa Jean in New Orleans & Jeni Bauer of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams! General Admission: $75, Georgia Organics Members: $70, Lexus VIP: $150